A growing garden with communal plantings, first plantings in June 2012, with a focus on edible & artistically useful plants. Participation via workshops, working bees & meetings.
Summer Working Bees Wednesdays 10-12 & every 2nd & 4th Saturday of the month from 10 – 12. Also active most Saturdays. Membership can be paid at working bees.
A unique project delivering on the community’s vision for a sustainable and creative garden. The garden features edible fruits, vegetables, and herbs along with useful plants for biodiversity and an awesome central mosaic. The Garden is a living educational resource featuring sustainable practices, composting, healing fragrances, an outdoor space for meetings, performances, and artistic garden creations.
The garden is run by volunteers and relies on memberships to cover costs.
Contact the garden at Yinnarcg@gmail.com, for membership information and more information. Marquees for hire through the Garden for special events.
Grants received to date:
- Stage 1 of the Garden was funded by the Helen McPherson Smith Trust via Sustainable Gardening Australia.
- Stage 2 including the gazebo, greenhouse and mosaic was funded from the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund.
- The amphitheatre steps were funded by the Mirboo North & District Community Foundation.
- Further equipment was funded by the Department of Social Services Volunteer Grant.
- The “Moving and Feasting” project was funded by the Latrobe Health Assembly.
- We have recently received funding from Food For All Latrobe Valley to host a public food event, from Latrobe City to create the YCG Welcome Centre, and from OSMI to create an educational media package.
Funding is used by the YCG in line with the community vision of a sustainable, artistic & educational garden and members are kept informed of grant applications via monthly minutes.